St.Angelos is in the west of Kannur town. It was built in 1505 by
the first Portuguese Viceroy, Don Francisco De Almeida, with the
permission of the Kolathiris, on a promontory jutting into the
Lakshadweep sea.The Dutch captured the fort in 1663 and sold it to
the Ali Raja of Kannur in 1772 and in 1790 it came into the
possession of the British.The British rebuilt it and made it their
most important station in Malabar. A few obsolete guns are seen at
the place. The fort is a protected monument under the Archaeological
Survey of India.
British arrived in Thalassery in 1683 and errected a goods shed
there. They shifted their: commercial capital to Thalassery from
Kozhikode, following obstruction from the Dutch.
Park at Parassinikkadavu is situated 18 kms. away from Kannur town.
It is one of the known snake parks in the country. The park is
dedicated to the preservation and conservation of snakes, most of
which are becoming extinct gradually. There is a large collection of
poisonous and non-poisonous snakes.
Payyambalam beach is one of the beautiful beaches in this State and
is an ideal place to spend evenings, irrespective of seasons. It is
very near to Kannur town. The mortal remains of Swadeshabhimani
Ramakrishna Pilla, A.K.Gopalan, K.P.Gopalan, Pamban Madhavan and
K.G.Marar are laid to rest near this resort.
the capital of the ancient Mooshika kings, is considered to be an
ancient historical site. It is a conspicuous, isolated cluster of
hills, forming a promontory, 38 kms. north of Kannur. A flourishing
sea port and centre of trade in ancient Kerala, it was one of the
major battle fields of the Chola-Chera war of the 11th century.It is
believed that Lord Budha had visited Ezhimala. An old mosque
believed to contain the mortal remains of Shaikh Abdul Latif, a
Muslim reformist, is also located here. The hill is noted for rare
medicinal herbs.Bordered by sea on three sides, Ezhimala is set to
occupy a prominent place in the naval history of the country,
consequent to the proposal for commissioning the Naval Academy here.
Bay is a natural fishing harbour, lying near to Fort St. Angelos. A
sea wall projecting from the fort separates the rough sea and inland
water.The bay was famous during the Kolathiris' regime as a
commercial harbour that linked Kolathunadu with Ladshadweep and
foreign countries, in imports. Today, Mopilla bay has turned into a
modernised fishing harbour, developed under the Indo-Norwegian Pact.
It is 15
k.m from Kannur and 8 k.m from Thalasseri. Black rocks protect this
long, clean beach from the currents of the deep,making its shallows
waters a swimmer's paradise . Perhaps this is Kerala only drive-in
beach. Where are can drive entire length of 4 km.
Bangalow in 20 k.m away from Kannur, near Thalasseri Town on the
national high way at Illikunnu Dr.Herman Gundert, the revered German
Missionary, scholar and lexicographer lived in this bungalow for 20
years from 1839. It was here that one of the first Malayalam
dictionaries and the first Malayalam newspaper Paschimodayam took
retreat for tourists, the dam site is famous for its scenic beauty.
The D.T.P.C provides pleasure boating facilities at the reservoir.
Accommodation is available at the Project Inspection Bungalow and
This enchanting hill station 65 km from Kannur Town, situated 4,500 ft. above sea level near the Kerala- Karnataka border, is rich in flora and fauna. It is a 6 km trek to the top of the hills.